Slider

Spicy Goodness // pt.1

July 4, 2014

In honor of this wonderful holiday I thought I would celebrate with a tasty, cold drink. It may not be very American of me but I've always been a fan of margaritas. I like to think that I can make one heck of a classic margarita but I have recently become obsessed with a spicier version. I tell everyone it is like drinking cold fire and I absolutely love them. Since we planted some jalepenos in our garden this year I've been excited to make some homemade simple syrup for my summer cocktails. Here's how it all went down.....

Jalapeno Simple Syrup // Makes One Cup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced thin

// in a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and cook, 
stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until all sugar has dissolved
// reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer to three to four minutes, stirring frequently
// remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes. 
// strain out the pepper slices and store in an airtight container. 
// the syrup will last in the refrigerator for up to three months


I can't wait to use this for some spicy margaritas! When I was testing the final product I used my pinky to have a quick taste. It was perfect, just enough heat to warm your throat but it faded quickly. Then I had an itch inside my right nostril and for some crazy reason I used that same pinky to scratch it. Let me tell you, that heat did not fade as quickly. Around thirty minutes later my nose finally stopped burning! 

I have a few ideas going on in my head for a fun margarita and I'm interested to see how the final product turns out. I did a test run last night (since I didn't have to wake up for work, and everything) and it was almost perfect, just a little bit of tweaking! Of course I will share part two with all of you once I have the recipe just right! Till then, you go find a cold drink and enjoy your 4th of July!!! 

3 comments:

CassieEliya said...

I just tried some jalapeno peach ones and they were amazing!!! I'm going to share the recipe later this week! :)
Thanks for sharing the post, it was a lot of fun to make - hope it turns out well for you!!

Kelli B said...

This sounds great, Cassie! I've never thought about putting jalapeno in simple syrup. I had a bunch of jalapenos from my local produce box I got this week...they sent like 12 of them...so many!

CassieEliya said...

it is the best!!! Adds a nice kick to any kind of drink or food! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan