Solomon's Birth Story // part two.

September 24, 2015

Here we are again, with part two... 
you can look back at part one from yesterday if you missed it! 

Sunday - September 13, 2015
Once we got home from the office I had a lot of cramping. I was warned about the blood and cramping from the sweep but I was hoping that everything would start happening soon. I ate a piece of toast with melted cheese (seriously, the best thing I had ever eaten at that time, HA!) and some tortilla chips. I then decided to go up stairs and try and nap as much as possible so my body could relax and do it's thing. The contractions were around five minutes apart and getting stronger. I was so tired so I fell asleep easily but every five minutes I would wake up all tense in pain and then I'd crash again before the next wave five minutes later. It was kind of amazing how fast I would go to sleep and how long it felt like I actually slept. If I wasn't looking at my phone I would have thought I was sleeping for 10-15 minutes between contractions, not just five. After around 20 minutes of doing this I decided I had to get up, this was definitely not rest and waking up tense from the pain wasn't helping either. 

During contractions I tried my best to let go completely and let my body do what it should. I didn't want to fight the wave, just simply sink into it and breathe. I went downstairs to Peter and told him that it was getting intense but I was hoping it wasn't false labor from the sweep. They told me that the contractions would need to be consistent for a good hour before thinking it was moving forward. After thirty minutes of contractions that were five minutes apart I had Peter call Caryn. She could hear me moaning through the pain every few minutes and she said it sounded like active labor for sure but to call her back in thirty more minutes if it stayed or picked up and she'd be over. Within the next thirty minutes it definitely picked up and they were coming around 2-3 minutes apart. Peter called her back and she said she was on her way. 

After days of hoping and wondering when it would happen, I was very excited. I was so ready to meet our baby boy and I was hoping that things would move quickly now thanks to the sweep and all the acupuncture appointments I had over the past few months. 

Once Caryn arrived she asked if we called the midwife, Barb was on call still and she lived an hour away. We decided to call her and let her know, she wanted to hear me talk and listen to a few contractions to see what she thought. After talking to her we decided that we would head to the Birthing Center around 6:30PM. It was around 5:30PM when Caryn got to our house. 

During all the labor stages so far she continued to tell me that I wasn't in active labor because I was too verbal. Now that I was in active labor and she saw how I was handling it she told me that she underestimated my pain tolerance and that I would probably be talking throughout the entire process. I laughed and agreed with her, it made me feel so good to know that she understood that. She also told me that I needed to keep talking when I got to the Birthing Center so Barb would understand how I labored also. After we talked to Barb she told Caryn that we might want to wait a bit longer since I was talking a little too easily. HA. Caryn told her that we would be there around 7PM since I was definitely in active labor. 

The next hour went by quickly.... the minutes flew by since the contractions were so close together. I had my music playing and I was walking and swaying around the house. Lots of dancing with Peter, swaying back and forth and him helping me remember to breath. 

At 6:30PM we got in the car and the second ride to the Birthing Center was more intense. I didn't even bother to buckle up and the contractions definitely didn't slow down like before. They were all very active and I had to grip the car door so I could try and relax the rest of my body. Once we arrived Barb was there to check me and see where we were. I knew we had be past a 3 and I was hoping for a 6 since that's what I needed to be admitted. I was a 5. ugh. But Barb said I could walk around in the garden area and use the birthing ball to get things going. She said that typically women go 1cm per hour so she would check me again at 8PM. When we went downstairs to the Birthing Center (the office is upstairs which is where I was checked) my mom was sitting on the couch waiting for us. I was so happy to see her and thankful that she was there. 

I walked around, swayed on the ball, both Peter and Caryn tried to help me relax and breath but I was trying my best to surrender to the pain and relax every muscle in my body. After 45 minutes I had to use the bathroom so I went into the Birthing Center and when I was finished Barb said she was going to admit me. I was so happy!!! I smiled and said get the shower on! 

I walked into the room and started taking off my clothes. I put on my swim top and was ready to get in that hot water. I took turns between the ball in the shower and standing for each contraction. I didn't need to keep switching positions to keep the contractions going anymore but it felt better to keep moving and I thought it would help things progress quickly. The time is really a blur past this point since I didn't pay attention to the clock. 

After about 30-40 minutes in the shower I moved to the bed since Barb said laying on my side would help push things along. They put several pillows between my legs and I rocked back and forth during the contractions. I had around 3-4 contractions per side but wanted to get up after those. 

Once I got on the ball by the edge of the bed I felt like things started to get real... I had my music on and I felt my entire self completely let go. I was singing the worship songs and praying. There were times when I would just start crying and Barb said that it was okay to be scared and nervous but I laughed and told her that I wasn't scared, I was so excited and happy. I was going to meet my baby soon and I knew God was in control. I had prayed for this moment and I knew he would give me strength to do this. He was in the room, I felt His presence so strongly. (even now when I listen to the songs from my playlist I start to cry. I don't know how I'm going to sing those songs at church on Sunday mornings without weeping the entire time, they are so special to me now)

So there I was.... swaying, singing, crying and ready for my baby. I asked when I could get in the tub and Barb said I needed to be an 8 or more because the water could slow things down if I get in too early. I asked to be checked and she said we should wait a bit longer. She was concerned that I was still too talkative. I wanted to laugh... I think I remember Caryn telling her that I will be talking while pushing since I've been verbal the whole time. I'm a talker, and talking through the pain helped me cope with it. Finally after several more contractions she decided to check me. I've never prayed so hard as I did in that moment, laying on that bed waiting to be checked and hoping I was at least an 8. She smiled and said "well, you want some good news?!?" I said YES! She said, "YOU ARE A NINE" 

I then screamed, FILL UP THAT TUB! It took around 30 minutes to fill the tub and I got in at 11:30.... They told Peter that he would probably be born around 3. My mom went to make some coffee for Peter since he was exhausted. He didn't have the endorphin's and hormones racing through his body like I did, and he was working so hard. Never leaving my side and helping me with everything I needed for the past several days. 

Once I got in the water I started to feel the urge to push. The contractions didn't slow down thank God and the water felt great. It honestly wasn't as hot as I thought it would be which was kind of a bummer but it still felt great to be in the water. As I was pushing I felt a lot of pressure and Barb told me to reach down and see if I could feel anything. I told her I felt something hard and slick like a water balloon, she said that was my bag of waters. It was so tight and I wanted to pop it so bad. I asked if I could pop it and they laughed and told me it wasn't a zit. They said as I started to push more it would break. Eventually, it popped and it was the biggest relief. My mom said it was so awesome to watch in the water because it was like a big poof of light pink water. 

Since I am being completely honest with this post I will talk about the worst part of labor right now. The poop. Yes, I said it. It was the most annoying thing and I felt so self conscious about it. You use the same muscles to push out a baby as you do to use the bathroom anyways, so it is only natural, but I couldn't  stand the feeling. That continued for the next several minutes and I think that caused labor to slow down a bit after the water broke. I lost my train of thought and I couldn't concentrate on anything anymore, except for that feeling. 

After the water broke I started to feel the urge to push again and Barb asked me if I could feel his head coming down. I told her I didn't think so... she said do a couple more contractions and we will see what you feel. I tried to pay attention during the pushes to how I felt but I never felt any head movement at all. She then said it would be best for me to get out of the water so she could check me. She then realized that my cervix lip was way too tight and his head couldn't get under it. I then had around 4 contractions while Barb was pushing my cervix back over Solomon's head. Once he was past that he could come down much faster. I'm so thankful that she realized there was a problem instead of letting me push for a long time. I honestly think that if I were in the hospital with an OB I would have pushed for hours and then a csection might have been needed, again, I am so thankful for the midwives that our hospital system has available and the amazing birthing center to use. 

Once the cervix problem was fixed I tried to push on all fours. I know so many women love this position but I did not. Once again, I felt very self conscious about pushing at this point. They asked me if I wanted to try the toilet since it is a sitting squat position and a lot of women like to push there. I said yes and gave it a shot. Then Caryn did the best thing she could have done, she asked me if I wanted to be on the toilet because I was worried about using the bathroom and I said yes. She called me out and that was exactly what I needed to snap out of it and prepare to meet my baby. I got off the toilet and walked back in the room to try the swing. HECK NO, I thought... get me out of here. So then I went back to the bed. 

I was on my back but kind of siting up in a squat position with pillows behind my head so I could spread my legs and push. My mom was on my left side and Caryn was on my right. Barb was helping things move smoothly with hot rags and numbing cream so I could push efficiently. Peter was about to pass out from being so tired by this point so he sat by the bed. He also didn't want to see everything that was going on so I had my women around me to help me push.   I also had a nurse, Julie, and she was so helpful with a mirror so I could see what was happening. I was past the freaking out time and I was ready to see my baby. Just before the mirror came out Barb mentioned all his hair! I was so ready to see my baby boy! During the contractions I tried my best to push three times but I could only get two out. Every single time, I felt the contraction coming, I would take a deep breath, push, breathe in again, push and then I'd be out of energy. The mirror helped a lot with this, it gave me the incentive to push harder and with more force. Once his head started coming out Caryn said that her guess was 2:07 for a birth time. I asked her what time it was and she said 1:50, I told her no way- I couldn't wait that long. He was born at 2:04! 

During that last push I actually got FOUR pushes during one contraction to get his head out. I was beyond ready to hold my baby. When his head came out Barb told me only one more push for his shoulders. I then got to reach down and put my hands under his armpits and pull him out. I brought him toward my chest but realized something was tugging him back. Barb then said to be careful since his cord was short. I was worried and asked if he was okay and they said he was perfect and no need to worry, the cord was fine and he was fine. 

The first few moments with him on my chest were amazing. He was looking right at me and it was like looking at myself. I was so shocked that he looked so much like me. Peter came over and got in the bed with me as soon as he was out and Solomon jerked his head and looked at his daddy when he spoke for the first time and he had this look in his eyes like, "hey, I know you!" It was such a wonderful moment that I will never forget. We were a family of three, and our baby boy was perfect. 

A lot of people have asked me how I handled the pain. I honestly don't know, I mean, it was painful but it was birth. It's supposed to be painful, but it is so worth it. I can't wait to have more babies if the Lord decides to bless us with more. I was wondering how I would feel after a natural birth and I can honestly say I would love to have ten babies right now. It is amazing and I feel so thankful to experience such a wonderful birth. 

A few days later while talking to my aunt about his short cord, she mentioned how long cords are so dangerous and it hit me all off the sudden, God answered my prayer. I was so worried the entire pregnancy that the cord would wrap around his neck and kill him during the 9 months or during delivery, and now knowing how short the cord was, I realized that could have never happened. It wasn't too short, it wasn't too long, it was just perfect and God knew it. He answered so many prayers during this time and during my labor. I'm so thankful for every single thing He did to make this baby mine. He is sovereign and He is my protector. I can't wait for Solomon to know this love one day. That is my biggest prayer now, for him to love the Lord and know him fully. 

He is good, and we are so blessed by this baby boy! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan